15 January 2009

Revolutionary Road

We went to see this movie last weekend. I had read mixed reviews, and knew it was likely to be very sad, so it was not on the top of my list for a long time, but last week I re-saw Road to Perdition on DVD, which reminded me that I love Sam Mendes' movies, regardless of how sad they are, and finally at the ticket counter I asked the girl "we're trying to decide between Revolutionary Road and Slumdog Millionaire. What's your vote?" And she said "I'm a big fan of Revolutionary Road." Which surprised but delighted me, and that was that.

In the event, it was fully as good as I hoped and expected. Every scene was beautiful. About halfway through I had to pee, but I waited because I didn't want to miss a moment. Kate Winslet was astonishing. Her face is a wonder--you can read it like a book. Leonardo DiCaprio was fine, but he looked about 12. I didn't understand why they didn't do a better job of aging him. He doesn't always look like such a kid in movies.

Terribly sad, of course, but good-sad, not pointless-sad.

No comments: