15 August 2005

Lighting Quest

We've been wanting to improve the lighting in our apartment for some time, but have been deterred by cost. We found loads of things we liked at Lightology, but the cost of the equipment combined with the cost of the electrician's installation was prohibitive. For example, I got an estimate of more than $2,000 just to buy and install undercabinet lighting in the kitchen.

After I emphatically admired this chandelier at a party in Lincoln Square Saturday night, a couple of friends tipped me to Lamps Plus, a west-coast chain with an extensive online catalog of reasonably priced lighting options. Sunday morning found Victor and me in bed with my laptop, poring through pages of ceiling lights and cheap halogen torchieres (we thought these had been forever banned because of the fire hazard).

In the end, we ordered fixtures for the entry hall, dining room, and kitchen. They should arrive in a couple of weeks. Wish us luck!

Filed in:

No comments: